Monday, July 28, 2014

Its been two years and I've learned four things in college

I have survived proudly completed two years of college. After moving four hours away from home, two hospital visits, one stray dog, multiple cookie cakes and several nights spent alone in coffee shops discovering myself, I feel like I might possibly be qualified to offer some advice to those of you about to embark on what everyone is telling you is going to be the best time of your life. I can't say weather or not this is really going to be the best time of your life, because I am not yet old enough to look back on it (thank God), so we're in the same boat on that one. But hey, since we're all sitting in this boat, let me tell you what I have learned so far.

Things other blog posts won't tell you about going off to college:

1. It's going to feel weird for the first few weeks.
You can prepare yourself for it all you want. You can imagine what its going to be like, but its a huge change and a long transition, so embrace it as so. Everyone else might seem like they move away from home every day, but don't buy it. They feel just as awkward as you do. This extreme vulnerability that occurs during the first few weeks allows for friendships to form because everyone wants people to feel awkward with. I remember when my parents left after helping me move into my dorm, there was this feeling of "they're gone." It wasn't sad or scary, and I didn't immediately run out and get a tattoo, but it was a weird feeling. I felt independent in my 12x10 dorm room. Be patient and take it all in because its gloriously weird. The "weirdness" (which is really just newness) becomes your life and you get used to it.

2. Please, go to church.
The only reason I say this is because...well I guess there are multiple reasons, the first one being that I care about your soul and I know that Jesus does too. The second one is that it makes me so sad when people stop going to church in college for whatever reason. Since I'm Catholic, I never had to go through the whole "church hopping every Sunday for the first few weeks" thing like other people do, but if that's what you need to do, then I encourage you to do it and find a church that you love. For me personally, Saint John's University Parish became my home freshman year. I study there, I worship there, I take the occasional nap there and frequently raid the fridge there, and I met some really great people there who are some of my favorite faces to see on campus. The church people will hold you accountable and help you discover what it means to be a Christian young adult. They also sometimes offer free meals. You get to take ownership of your faith when you move away....don't be afraid to dive in--You'll be surprised at how present The Lord can be on college campuses.
Women's group!



3. College friendships are different
Your friends really do become your family. My roommate rode with me in an ambulance and held my hand when they were poking me with needles. One of my other friends helped me move everything out of my dorm and make it fit into my VW Beetle. If you have a car, you give people rides to Walmart or pick them up from sketchy situations without judgement because there's this unwritten code among college friends that you just have to have each other's backs....Maybe its not like that for everyone and I just got lucky, but either way, look for people who stick by your side when you need a ride to the hospital because three mouth anesthetics for a filling made you pass out at the dentist. (Thanks, Em!)
Numb life...I can't believe I'm putting this picture online.
 
4. You might not love it right away

I didn't grow up in Oklahoma, and no one in my family went to OSU. It took me a while (my first three semesters) to actually feel some sort of pride in my school. But doesn't that make sense? I had no connection to OSU when I first got there. If this happens to you, don't sweat it. Buy a few spirit shirts and focus on the things you love about your school. It doesn't have to be a sports team. For me it's my major! (I'm a nerd, its fine, go pokes) (But football is cool too)

College is weird. College is fun. Its hard and scary and exciting and awesome. You'll be happy-free-confused-and-lonely-at-the-same time. (Itsmiserableandmagicalohyeah...I just had to finish the lyric) I'm going back for round 3 in a few weeks and I'm really excited!!

Game day outfits are important but game day friends are even more important

No comments:

Post a Comment