Friday, September 20, 2013

Why I stopped filtering pictures of myself

I love Instagram. Like, a lot. What's not to love about seeing what all of your friends, favorite celebrities, and random people you don't even know are doing, eating, or wearing in a 2x2 inch square? And trust me, I very well know the satisfaction and excitement of seeing that little yellow speech bubble appear, alerting you of how many people liked your strategically arranged coffee and muffin snapshot on #sundayfunday. I love Instagram. If you're like me, you've probably had someone over the age of 40 ask you "well, what's the difference between "instantgrams" and facebook postings?"
Filters. On Instagram, you can give your pictures cool effects with the different filters. (okay, I know you can do that on Facebook now too, but that's still a new thing so hush)
Here's an (terrible) example:



But you can also use those filters to your advantage. Here's me, unfiltered:


Here's me with the "Nashville" filter:


Better, right? If only the DMV had Instagram filters for drivers license photos (now THAT'S a good idea...).
But then I realized something: That's not me. I mean it is, but not 100 percent. By filtering my pictures to make my skin look smoother and tanner and make my hair look blonder, I'm giving people an unrealistic idea of what I look like. They'll see me in person and it won't be the same.
THEN, I realized something else: By filtering my pictures, I'm giving MYSELF unrealistic standards for my appearance. I can't compare my reflection in the mirror to my picture with a filter because guess what? I'm not always standing in the most flattering lighting. I don't have perfect skin. Some days my hair isn't as blonde as other days (that one really stumps me too...how is that even possible?). But that doesn't mean I'm not beautiful. A picture may be worth a thousand words but being real is priceless. We don't need to hide behind filters to show off our radiance because filters take away from who we are. I'll still use them in other pictures and for artistic flair, but selfies and me trying to make myself look easy-breezy-beautiful can say goodbye to Kelvin, X-pro II, mayfair, lo-fi and the rest of the gang. We can't sell ourselves short! So move outta my way, filters! *cue I'm Coming Out by Diana Ross* *I'm actually listening to it right now*


"It doesn’t make sense to call ourselves ugly, because we don’t really see ourselves. We don’t watch ourselves sleeping in bed, curled up and silent with chests rising and falling with our own rhythm. We don’t see ourselves reading a book, eyes fluttering and glowing. You don’t see yourself looking at someone with love and care inside your heart. There’s no mirror in your way when you’re laughing and smiling and happiness is leaking out of you. You would know exactly how bright and beautiful you are if you saw yourself in the moments where you are truly yourself."

PS, follow me on instagram for more things that I do! @kakihoran


2 comments: